The Texas FPSP offers a Novice division for beginning Problem Solvers in the Global Issues Problem Solving Component. Here is how it will work:
- Beginning coaches may choose to enter their students/teams in the NOVICE Division for up to 3 years in the same age division or crossing into the next division.
- The NOVICE Division will be offered to Junior and Middle participants.
- The NOVICE Team will write a shortened booklet the equivalent of an individual booklet with 8 challenges, 8 solutions and put 5 solutions on the Step 5 Grid.
- The NOVICE Individual will write 5 challenges, 5 solutions and put all 5 solutions on the Step 5 Grid.
- The NOVICE booklet will have more thorough instructions for each step at the top of each booklet page.
- NOVICE future scenes will be specially designed to have an easier reading/Lexile level.
- Evaluators for the NOVICE booklets will be specially selected because of their expertise in providing extensive quality feedback.
- Just as in the other divisions, the NOVICE division will have 20% of their competitors advance to the State Bowl. However, NOVICE competitors will not advance to the international level of competition.
- NOVICE division competitors will compete separately from the other competitors at the Bowl.
- The NOVICE Division is a perfect starting point for first time Problem Solvers, English Language Learners, or students who need a little extra time in mastering the process.
- Once the Coach decides his/her students will enter the NOVICE Division for that competition year, they may NOT change to the Competitive Division in that same competition year.
- COACHES! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TO ENSURE THAT YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DIVISION FOR YOUR STUDENTS WHEN REGISTERING IN ROCS!